The primary objectives of the SCM Policy are to:
- give effect to the provisions of the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa;
- give effect to the provisions of the MFMA;
- transform procurement and provisioning practices in the Municipality into an integrated supply chain management function;
- introduce a systematic approach for the appointment of consultants; create a common understanding and interpretation of the Municipality’s preferential procurement policy objectives;
- make a significant improvement to supply chain management in the broader public sector;
- promote consistency in respect of the SCM Policy and other related policy initiatives in the Municipality;
- align with global trends and transformation and ensure that the Municipality adheres to international best practices.