Residents of Mangaung Metro are urged to be cautious on the roads and in their homes as the South African Weather Service (SAWS) has issued an Impact Based Warning Level 2 for possible severe thunderstorms with hail and strong damaging winds. Disruptive rainfall is predicted for the former Naledi region whilst thunderstorms are predicted for the rest of Mangaung. The warning is valid for Thursday, 30 September from 14H00 until 18H00.
The SAWS notice further states that the oncoming weather system is expected to result in stormy and rainy conditions over the central interior until Saturday, 02 October 2021.
Localised flash-floods can be expected in low-lying areas, roads and informal settlements. This could also result in difficult driving conditions due to reduced visibility. All road users are requested to take extra caution:
- Reduce speed
- Switch on your headlights
- Pedestrians should be careful when crossing the road
- Avoid crossing rivers and streams where water is above your ankles
- Stay indoors and avoid metal objects
We also urge households to open/make pathways to allow water to flow out of their yards.
In cases of emergency, residents should contact:
• Mangaung Fire Department: 051 406 6666/ 051 409 9600 or Toll free 107
• Ambulance 10177
Members of the community may also contact Regional General Managers in their respective areas to report incidents.
CONTACT DETAILS FOR MMM REGIONAL MANAGERS
- Botshabelo Tshoeute Matutle 082 418 5859
- Thaba Nchu Pascalina Thakheli 064 526 5194
- Dewetsdorp/Naledi Thato Khoase 051 541 0012/ 082 887 9561
For inquiries contact MMM Communications or the Mangaung Call Centre 0800 111 300
Issued by: Qondile Khedama – GM Communications